Group Admins
  • Profile picture of Kathleen Murphy

Stakeholder Engagement Approaches

Public Group active 2 months, 1 week ago

This is a space for PCORnet stakeholders to discuss current approaches and best practices for engagement.

Clinician Engagement

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cherie C Binns RN BS MSCN 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Do you see a need for Clinician Engagement in Research?   If so, how would that look?  What education and support is needed to support Clinician Engagement?   Do you actively engage Clinicians in our Research and, if so , how?

If you would like to see more Clinicians engaged in your Work, what are the drawbacks to this that you have seen?  This forum , hopefully, will help all of us to work together to see that there is an understanding that comes to light that can facilitate the involvement of more persons in the research arena and bring the richness of different voices to our work.

Leslie Boone
    Participant

Cherie,

I think you are asking a critical question. I was recently working on a study with a research investigator who  approached community physicians with the hope of recruiting their patients into a study. The community physicians were not receptive to working with the investigator for fear of the researcher siphoning their patients off to a bigger academic medical center.  It made sense to me that this was a concern but also it limited the patient’s choices for information and possibly better management of their disease.  So, how do we create partnerships with community providers and clinicians to inform the research and recruitment pathways? Does anyone have successful examples?

Leslie,

This is a problem we, as a workgroup, struggled with for months.  Most community clinicians have quotas to meet, have insufficient staff and are already overloaded, and often just don’t have the time to learn about research projects that might benefit their patients or practice.  As you noted, there is also a fear that they will lose patients with whom they have developed a relationship as they immerse themselves into clinical trials.  I personally believe that a research navigator or facilitator could help in this situation.  Whether this person is employed by the practice or the researcher, they could educate the clinician on trials recruiting that could benefit the patient or the practice, identify (roughly) via diagnostic code and date of birth those patients who might qualify and then do the actual enrollment of patients into the trial disrupting the workings of the practice very minimally.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.