Group Admins
  • Profile picture of Joanna Ball
Group Mods
  • Profile picture of Thomas Carton

Commons Community Conversations

Public Group active 3 days, 9 hours ago

This public group is open to any Commons user and is the place for broad discussions and idea exchange.

Moving beyond the averages

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cherie C Binns RN BS MSCN Cherie C Binns RN BS MSCN 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

http://www.pcori.org/research-in-action/moving-beyond-averages?utm_source=ealert

I was struck when reading this article last evening by the profound common sense of using statistical probability to see which persons might benefit from a therapy versus taking an average benefit and applying it to all persons who might be appropriate candidates for the therapies.  I have seen over the years that patients who were “middle ground” or “average” patients did not necessarily receive the hoped for outcome from a therapy while those for whom the therapy was perhaps more risky due to age or co-morbidities did quite well.   It was a breath of fresh air to read this article (link above) and see that my decades of observations had actually been borne out with this study

How many of you have used “risk based statistical analyses” when making a treatment decision?  I would love to hear your observations and experiences.  Thank you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.